Sunday, September 19, 2010

My 365 project begins.....

I've been thinking about doing this for a long time, the idea is to take a picture everyday for a year, in hopes of improving your photography skills. I finally decided to take a photography course. I found a free podcast on itunes called photography 101. It was really helpful, I learned so much about my camera and how to use it. It has also encouraged me to take some photos, and use some techniques I probably wouldn't have tried. I probably won't post everyday, but save a few pictures up for a bigger post once a week or twice a month. Here are a few pictures I have done in the last few days to get me started.


My sweet Sydnie. In this one I was trying out multiple things I had learned. First aperture, that is what gave the blurry background, second white balance I learned how to set the white balance to get the colors just right. Also I have started shooting in RAW, and wow what a difference in photo quality! You have to have software to process the picture on your computer, but usually you can get a free version on your cameras website. I used photoshop.

This is actually a picture I took months ago, but learned a cool processing technique called HDR. This is fake HDR I learned from a tutorial online for photoshop. I think the results are really cool!


This was a study on macro photography and aperture. I did not edit this photo one bit just a little cropping and that it. Its amazing what the right settings in manual mode and shooting in RAW can do.

This was a study in night photography, I learned how to keep your shutter open on bulb mode. You can leave the shutter open as long as you want. I left this one open for 30 seconds at an aperture of 5.6 ISO 200. I didn't have a tripod so I had to make do with a fence post, it turned out pretty good despite.

Okay I didn't take this picture. My niece Whitney sent me this picture to play with some overlay techniques. This one has a combination of techniques applied. First I did the fake HDR technique, then I applied a scrapbook paper layer in photoshop, in overlay blending mode. I think it turned out pretty cool here is the before:

P.S. Whitney your photos are on the way. Sorry, I had them all done, then I learned this new technique, and saw the picture you bought for your frame, and had to try and copy the technique.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jenn,
    Julie forwarded the link to your Website. Your photos are great! I am going to check out your tutorial links. Thanks for sharing!
    Jordan Odom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn- It's Audrey's sister Emily. I was wondering if this is a business for you and if so, what do you charge to play with color on some pictures of my wedding? Call me.
    801-717-5491

    ReplyDelete