Sunday, August 14, 2011

Wow! I have some catching up to do.
I took a ton of photos in July. I think just a combination of all the trips we took, the great weather and entering a lot of photo contests. I will try to keep my writing short so this post won't be any longer than it is. I will start of with my challenge entries. They are in order of how well they did.

This first one I loved it was for a challenge called distance. It is of me, Sydnie and Brianne. I was going to have Kaylee in the photo but I ran out of time getting everyone ready and I didn't have anything white for her to wear. Instead she helped me take the photo. I got third place with this photo.

Title:
Onward to Distant Mountains

This one only got an Honorable mention with 5th place but it was up against some stiff competition. It actually scored really high and got a 7 average only my third 7 out of over 100 challenge entries. I always love it when I can score a 7 even if I don't win a ribbon. The challenge was to photograph a bug.

title:
Mr. Smiley Face


This one did pretty well also and I got in the top 10. I was kind of surprised it did so well, I thought it was kind of a weird but cool photo so I didn't know how it would be received. This is a close up of Sydnies eye. The challenge was to take a close up of something other that a bug or a flower.

title:
Looking Up


I almost got in the top 10 with this one. I was really surprised too. It was a National Geographic challenge. You were suppose to photograph something that could go in a National Geographic Magazine. I thought that I didn't have a chance since I didn't photograph an Animal. I chose to photograph the copper mine in Utah. It was really hard to find a way to get a sense of scale. I used a editing technique called tilt shift. It is when you blur the top and the bottom of the photo and it makes the object seem miniature.

title:
Bingham copper mine, 150 years of turning a mountain inside out


This one did fairly well. It was a skyline challenge I thought mine was unique because it had a double skyline both the mountains and the city.

title:
Two skylines....Two Creators


This next one did fairly well but I think it would have done better if I had titled it properly. It was suppose to be showing how you took a tutorial and showed it in a photograph. My tutorial I found was how to change the color of someones hair. I must have done too good of a job because people kept commenting on how they didn't know what the tutorial was. I thought it would be obvious because there is no way I would dye my 7 year old hair pink just for a photo.

Title:
Please mom! Can I dye my hair pink.


Here is the original just in case you were worried her hair is pink.


This one scored okay as well. Looking back on it she is a bit too washed out. I should have done a better job editing this one. Challenge was rule of thirds in blue.

title:
The girl with the blue polka dot umbrella

This one did fairly well considering I shot it about 30 min before the challenge deadline. I didn't have time to edit it properly so I just cropped it and added a frame. The challenge was to paint with light. So this was taken in pitch black conditions and then I used a flashlight swirled around the object to make the light patterns. This is also fun to try with sparklers on the 4th of July.

Title:
Mystical Blue Orb

This one only did okay. I think it was because it was just wrong for the challenge I entered it in. The challenge was to take a photograph of a mainly pastel subject. I guess this one wasn't pastel enough.

title:
Butterfly in Pastel


This last one was wrong for the challenge I entered it in as well. It was suppose to be a photograph of a knife, fork, or spoon. I guess a pitch fork doesn't work.

The next few photos were not for challenges they are either outtakes of other challenges or ones I just love or both.

I just loved this one of Sydnie. I don't know why but I love photos of kids looking down so you can see their eyelashes.

This was an outtake for the bug challenge. I loved it but I think my grasshopper was the right choice.

This was and outtake for the distance challenge. I loved it as well but the other one was just a bit better.


The rest are not outtakes for anything just pictures I took messing around. These first two I really love they are long exposures of a waterfall near a place we go camping.




No comments:

Post a Comment