Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Challenges

I have been having a lot of fun taking photos and entering them in challenges on the website DPC. I have had some photo's that have not done very well and others that have done better than expected. Its a fun learning experience. You just have to learn to never get your hopes up too much and learn to have a thick skin when your photos score poorly.


I am excited to announce that this photo got an Honorable mention in a challenge that finished up last night. I didn't get a ribbon but I get a little star and by my photo. I finished 5th overall and got my best score so far on a challenge. I was just tenths of a point away from getting 4th or even 3rd. So the scoring was very close. If you want to check out my profile page here is the link:http://www.dpchallenge.com/profile.php If you want to have some fun and vote on some photo's, you can sign up for a free account on their website.

Title:
"Hidden Valley Ranch"
Homemade Landscapes

This next one is currently in scoring right now. But it is doing really well! I don't think I will win a ribbon with it but I think I might get in the top 10, which is a coveted spot because your picture appears on the front page with the winners. This challenge was called "complimentary colors" we could use any of the complimentary colors as the main subject in our photograph. For those of you who didn't take art class: complimentary colors are opposite of each other on the color wheel, Red/Green, Purple/Yellow or the one I chose Orange/Blue.

Title:
Orange and Oh! Those Blues.

This next one is another challenge I entered called "portrait tryptic". This mean you take a series of three photos and present them in a way that tells a story. I am not scoring well with it. I still like it, and it is very interesting to see my girls merged together like this. But there are a couple problems with it. First it doesn't necisarrily tell a story, I guess in a way it does but I could see how people wouldn't think so. Also, Sydnie would not smile with her mouth closed and the older girls looked bad smiling with their mouths open, so I just went with it. Also, the faces don't line up perfectly, but this has nothing to do with how I photographed it or edited it, its just that a 3 year olds anatomy is very different than a 6 or a 9 year old so there was no way to get them to line up.

Title:
"Three Sisters"


I have been trying to take some other pictures of just regular stuff, but it has been hard to keep up with that and my challenge entries. I did manage to get out and take a few pictures of the beautiful leaves we have had this fall. Here is my favorite:

Title:
"Holding Hands"

Here is a cute one I took of Kaylee at Dinosaur Park, I applied one of the fun free black and white filters I found online.


On the website DPC they also have little forums where you can post pictures that are not involved in challenges. Other people on the site look at your photos and comment on them. A forum I am currently involved in is called layered images. People share photo's they have applied textures or layers to. It has been fun and I have found a ton of new textures to use on my photos . Here are a couple the ones I have been working on.


Titled:
"At the Park"

Titled:
"Clocks"

No comments:

Post a Comment